Got up at 6am, we started the preparation to sail. The wind was blowing a bit hard, so we only need a part of the mainsail (one reef), there were some rope works to do. We haven’t tried it on this boat yet, so it took a while to figure out. Finally the ropes were sorted out and we set off.

We raced along with the rising tide, keeping our speed at about 8 knots. Two knots were contributed by the tide.

When we were passing through a very narrow and winding channel, there were several boats in front of us, and the nearest one seemed to be closer and closer. But it wasn’t a good time to overtake, so we had to slow down a bit and wait for it to go around a marker. Then we could gradually pass it. When we passed, J chatted (yelled) to the owner of the other boat about how busy the traffic was today, like a weekend market.

We reached at the tide dividing line a little after 9am, just when the tide was at its highest. Passing that point we were able to continue go with an ebb tide. Once again J made perfect timing!

It was much easier to sail Mustang across the Great Sandy Straight than Dagmar as we didn’t have to worry too much about running aground. Even if we run aground the hull won’t be leaning over. What we would have to do is wait for the rising tide to lift the boat again.

The next few hours of sailing were literally like surfing, topping out at 11+ knots. We overtook another sailboat!

We entered Tin Can Bay before 12pm. It was not easy to find a suitable anchorage there, either too exposed to the wind, or the channel was too narrow and shallow on both sides. Finally we managed to anchor near a green marker, a bit in the channel, which might hinder the traffic. In the late afternoon wind was weakened, we adjusted our position slightly away from the channel. Today we sailed for 5.5 hours and 40 nautical miles. Within one morning we finished the distance that took us days to sail.

In the afternoon Steve, Mustang’s previous previous owner, came to visit. He told us about the many improvements he made to the boat and some small incidents he had in the past. His Lady friend was waiting for him on shore, as she had been seasick on Mustang, which was one of the reasons why Steve sold it. Unfortunately while he was inspecting the boat, a gust of wind blew away his sunglasses which had been placed on the deck. We felt very sorry.

Talked to Bob on the phone in the evening. He was at Mooloolaba improving his new boat. A storm that avoided us was heading for his direction. He said he’s been spending a lot on the new boat and sometimes wished he hadn’t sold Mustang. I hope he’s just not used to the new boat yet, just like J wasn’t used to the Mustang in the first place… Bob also said he and his brother stopped talking to each other because of an extra $20,000 inheritance. His brother even got the whole family against Bob, and said some very nasty words to him… I really wanted to give Bob a hug when I heard that… He said he lost his family but still has lots of good sailing friends, and those were the friends you can choose.

I found Bob’s face on our boat and he was watching us all the time.



Got up at 6.30am. We left Bundaberg towards The Great Sandy Straight. Wind was weak at first but picked up in the morning. The only thing I knew about Bundaberg was its ginger beer. Later I found out that it is a sister city to Nanning. The whole town was very flat with no hills, so if the sea level continued to rise, the city would disappear.

By noon we were heading DDW (Dead Downwind). Red goose wings up, we roamed between the blue sky and sea.

The plan was to enter the Great Sandy Strait at 2pm at the beginning of low tide, and it was exactly 2pm when we reached the entrance marker. Good timing J!

We passed one of the four boats in front of us. Downwind we reached a top speed of at 10 knots, making a record!

Arrived at the Big Woody Island in the strait at 4:30pm. 9.5 hours and 49 nautical miles today. Went almost in a straight line.

In the evening J made bread in a frying pan. We had it together with tomato soup.


Hungry sailors needed protein, so J made two big breakfasts.

The morning was windy from the northwest, sailing smoothly and maintaining a speed of 6-7 knots.

Entered Bundaberg river at 2pm. It was rather windy. We dropped the jib and sailing only with the main. there were beacon lights on both sides of the river, and were pretty close to each other, so it was a bit nerve-wracking to sail in with a new and unfamiliar boat. Fortunately, J methodically anchored the boat beautifully and ended the 31 hour voyage with a straight distance of 140 nautical miles. We moved on to lunch and nap sections and I slept until evening.